Living Your Quest: Turn Your Dreams into Reality
Whether or not you have a physical bucket list, we all have those dreams of a grand adventure that tease us when we should be focused in the office or keep replaying and lingering in our minds as we grind through our daily commute. Not you? Okay maybe that’s a little dramatic, but I’ve definitely felt stuck before and I know I’m not the only one. So what do you do about it? Start an RRSP and begin crossing those things off your list when you retire? But what about right now? You may have seen #liveyourquest before. It’s something I feel pretty passionate about as an ambassador for AquaQuest waterproof gear, which is why I am here to help you turn your ideas of sailing around the South Pacific, living out of a van, or motorbiking around Vietnam and other wild dreams into a reality.
1. Turn Your Wishing into Doing
Easier said than done right? Right. But imagine all the energy you put into pinteresting travel ideas, daydreaming about the wind in your hair, and picturing your dream life was put into physically planning it? You’d be half-way there already.
2. Make a Timeline
Pick a date. Determine what your goal looks like. Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- How long do you want to go? Is this a month-long trip? Maybe a year? Or maybe you want to change your whole lifestyle?
- What is standing in your way between today and when you leave?
- Why not tomorrow?
3. Know the Difference Between Excuses and Reasons
Excuses often lead to a life of boring routine. Sure we all need a little routine and control in our lives, but who says you can’t get that anywhere else?
Here’s a list of common excuses you may recognize:
- I have too many commitments right now.
- I have young children or I want children.
- It’s not the right time in my life.
- I won’t be able to save up enough money, I need to pay my bills.
Here are some things you can say in reply to those excuses:
- Commitments to what? A job is just that. A job. There’s always a way to make it work. Have you asked your boss if they would let you come back after a month off? Have you considered seasonal work instead? Don’t be afraid to consider something different.
- Children are more adaptable than we give them credit for. Want to sail around the world? Memories of adventure can be far more valuable than a school book. There are always options for distance education.
- Is there ever a right time?
- Money comes and goes. Some opportunities only come around once. If you really want to make it happen, you’ll find a way to make the money work.
4. Stop Listening to Other’s Opinions
I’ve already established that we all make excuses and it’s hard enough to push yours aside, so why let other’s excuses, worries, and opinions hold you back? Still, need more inspiration? Here is a list of people and projects who show us that anything is possible.
- The Born Wild Project – Moms like Brooke, Morgan, and Shannon show us how to not let Motherhood slow them down.
- Liz Clarke – Liz has abandoned all stereotypes and is currently living life on a 40ft. sailboat with her cat, sailing around the world.
- Colin and Julie Angus – They have endured many epic adventures including Colin being the first person to circumnavigate the globe via human power, and Julie being the first woman to cross the Atlantic ocean via human power, amazing feats which earned them both titles as National Geographic Adventurers of the Year.
- Where is My Office Now? – Corey and Emily have travelled and lived out of their van for the past 3 years, proving that working on the road is possible.
5. Be Open to Possibilities
Reality check. This dream life of yours won’t be easy and definitely won’t always go according to plan, so be open to new experiences and say yes to opportunities! A dream can start with your desire, but an adventure starts by the action of following what feels right.
6. Work Hard
Know what needs to support your dream. Put in the hours before you jump on the plane/boat/bike/van to research, plan, and save your money. Or perhaps you leave tomorrow and work as you go? Up to you. But know there’s always a way. Make friends, find a community of like-minded people and help each other out! The reward is greater than the work needed to make it happen. Feeling inspired yet? So when are you leaving? #liveyourquest Do you have any tips for turning your dreams into reality? Let us know in the comments below!
Shop AquaQuest waterproof tarps today!
Written by AQ Ambassador Kayleen VanderRee, who herself is a pro at turning her dreams into reality, and is embarking on Summer long sailing trip in 2016 from Vancouver Island Canada to Hawaii and back, across the open Ocean! Follow her on Instagram: @kayvdr and check out her website: kayleenvanderree.com